What some stylists are getting so wrong

Just recently,  I was contacted by a lady who asked if I would style her hair for her.  At this stage I had no idea that she had already paid for a haircut and even a 'conditioning treatment', 

"Because he seemed to want to go out for a fag," she began to explain, "the minute he put the conditioner on he disappeared and came back stinking."

While this in itself was horrifically bad customer service,  it got worse.

More often these days, lady clients with long hair are now asking for less layering through the back.  They prefer the fuller look and are seeming to naturally request tapering or feathering around the face but less layers through the back.  It is a lovely look and one I'm happy to create.

However,  my new client had been different.  She wanted layers.  Her hair was a bit 'hangy' as she liked it straight and it wasn't too thick.  She was an older client.  Anyhow,  she began to tell me how during her consultation with her previous stylist he had point blank refused to cut in any layers she desired.  I very much feel that she gave me the impression this was a less than professional consultation.   As he was not prepared to cut layers in (he said it will make her hair look too thin at the bottom and I think we all know how to not let that happen) she left there unhappy and called me instead. 

During consultation it is so important to remember to listen to the client,  their needs, their requests and if they ask for the request that in fact is impossible,  explain carefully why and what can be done to better suit their needs.

While you are carrying out your consultations today, bear in mind you clients wishes and even that they may be slightly nervous at a  new request.  They will love you for it!

$5 ads for a whole month!

Find out how to get more management tips and help for your salon

Find us on twitter

Comments

Popular Posts